Monday, November 12, 2007

At Least He Thinks He's Funny

We already knew that Kieran had a good sense of humor. This weekend he started to do things on purpose to make himself laugh. It's pretty neat to see his little brain at work.

Ben (Ken's brother, the marine) came to visit us this weekend. Ken, Kieran, Ben & I had a good time just tooling around town. We didn't do much interesting (though Ken & Ben went to the Ravens game on Sunday - thanks to my dad). On Saturday , while putting Kieran down for a nap, I gave him his binky. He doesn't usually need or want it, but from time to time it calms him down. He would suck on it for a bit, take it out of his mouth, look at it, shake it, talk to it and then put it back in his mouth. Just for fun, when he dropped it, I put it in my mouth (backwards, so I was biting on the handle). He thought this was kinda funny (I got a smile). Then, when he took it out of my mouth he would shake it, talk to it, then he put it back in my mouth. And he laughed. He thought that mommy with the binky was pretty funny.

But that was just the beginning. Sunday night while Kieran and I played at the house (Ken and Ben were off to the game), he opened up a box and tried to close it again, but one of the other box flaps got in his way. When I moved what was blocking him and he nearly fell from the force of trying to shut the box, he laughed out loud. This, apparently, was very funny. He's beginning to realize that interacting with his environment can be funny and that he can do things that amuse him. I'll be interested to see how this takes shape since Ken and I have such snarky senses of humor.

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a cutie! It is so fun watching a baby develop personality. On one hand I can't wait for those times and on the other I don't want my baby to grow up. I love the story!