Thursday, November 08, 2007

4 am is Not an Appropriate Wake Up Time

This is unfortunately, what Kieran thinks is morning. I'm fairly certain that Ken and I have contributed to this false assumption. He's been getting up at this time and just making noise (not crying, just cooing and talking to himself). We've been getting up, feeding him and then we're not able to get him to go back to sleep.

So, this morning, when he got up at 4 am and I knew that it was 100% up to me to make sure he didn't freak when I went to take my shower (Ken's in Philly). I decided it was high time we broke him of this habit. I feed him, rocked him a bit and put him back in his crib - fully awake. He was confused and continued to move about and babble for the next hour. I got up a little after 5 (I'd just been laying there, waiting for him to start crying in earnest) and took my shower. By the time I was done, he was back asleep. I got to sleep for another 20 minutes too before he woke up for good at 6:30 am.

I relayed all this to Ken this morning. I really think that its our fault that he thinks its OK to be up at 4 am (though I do feel bad because he's been asleep since 7pm so he's getting 9 hours). But, we agreed that unless he's crying we'll not go into his room. Ken said I need to turn the monitor down a bit so he doesn't wake up at every coo and gurgle. He's probably right. I tend to turn it up from time to time because I can't hear him breathing. Then when he makes real noise its pretty freaking loud.

Anyway- he was in a great mood this morning (and I'm going to say a great big YAY that we're done with his ear infection medicine - at least for now) and was pretty happy to be heading to daycare. I think he's enjoying the Lovable Lobster room. They tell me he's been doing great with the transition (when Carolyn saw him on his first day, she zoomed over to him and gave him a great big kiss).

OK back to work for me. Love to all, blog again soon.

No comments: