Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fourteen Years is Not Long Enough

We made the hard decision Tuesday evening to put Milo to sleep. It was hard as he seemed to be doing fine at the time, but the vet said that what Milo had been experiencing (which I had mistaken for neuropathy) were seizures. He had torn open his leg and would have needed anesthesia to get it stitched up, not recommended with his heart murmur.

Ken and I are doing OK. I feel awful because I didn't want Kieran in the room when it happened, so I left Ken in there alone with Milo. We both loved that cat fiercely, but we knew that this was coming. He hasn't been well for a while now. Everything we've done has been to stave off the inevitable. We'll pick up his remains on Tuesday.

Milo was a very good cat - the best that we've had. He will meet up with some other good furry friends of ours - Boo, Beaners, Neci, Mandy and a few others. I have a picture in my mind of Milo and Neci stretched out on their backs in front of a roaring fire with silver bowls of food and water nearby. We miss him, but I really think he's a happier cat now, no pain, no worries and all the food he can eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Milo. He was a great cat even back in school. Your right about him and Neci. They are curled up together eating all the food they can get their paws on.

Love,
Micki