Monday, June 04, 2007

Daycare Dilemma

Ken's got a job with the firm Kollman & Saucier. They do Employment Discrimination law and much more. They had been farming out their immigration work but will now be able to do this in-house. They expect Ken to spend 50% of his time doing work for them and 50% of his time doing business development. He's essentially going to be able to start his practice under their roof, insurance, etc.

While this is great news (we get to keep the house - yea!), it means daycare for Kieran. We went to Goddard School today here in Owings Mills (where I work) and Ken visited KinderCare. He really liked Goddard compared to KinderCare, felt that it was more organized, cleaner and generally a nicer facility. I'm going to visit KinderCare on my way home to give it a look-see.

I'm starting to get really upset about the idea of sending him to daycare at all. I don't know that I prefer a nanny, but it seems like a lot of kids to few adults. Maybe it's just me. I'm nearly in tears over it, but it's something we have to do - we both need to work. The good news is that we will start this next week, when I was planning on being off work completely as Ken will be in Orlando for the AILA conference.

Instead of taking the entire week off, I'll be doing half days. This will help me (I won't be the sole caregiver 24-7 that week) and will ease Kieran into daycare instead of "OK, complete change of pace!" I'm upset about it, but I think that once he's there he'll start getting on a schedule, will start being able to do more/socialize, etc. OK back to work. Will blog again tomorrow with our decision.

No comments: