Friday, February 29, 2008

Busted

So, I finally had a confrontation with another parent this morning. I know that Kieran's been biting at daycare and we've been working to correct it. I got cornered by another parent this morning - the dad of the boy he bit two days ago. He said something such as "Well, my kid bit me at home and we told him that behavior was not acceptable." I told him that we've been working with Kieran as well - from ignoring him and time outs and telling him "No bite" but that nothing had yet completely gotten through.

This seemed to put him a bit at ease. He said he was concerned that we were the "that's the way kids are" kind of parents. I told him absolutely not - especially since he's biting us as well - that we were working with him. I felt very badly that Kieran bit this boy to begin with. I understand the father's frustration as it may not be the first time, I was a bit put-off that he felt comfortable confronting me about it, but from his perspective, I do understand. Ken's really quite ticked. They don't put names on incident reports for a reason - to protect the kids from harassment from the parents (and probably the parents too). I almost felt like I shouldn't have fessed up, but I didn't want to lie to the guy.

Hopefully he's mollified to know that we're working with Kieran, but it may mean more trouble ahead at daycare. I asked them yesterday if Kieran would get kicked out for biting, they assured me he would not. But if another parent knows its him and objects violently - and lets other parents know its him, they may not have a choice if his biting continues. I don't know. I'm upset, embarrassed and frustrated. I'm hoping that once we get his hearing situated that the biting incidents may go down too because he'll be able to better hear us say NO BITING. Maybe I'm pinning my hopes on something fruitless since I don't have ear infections to blame for my own childhood biting behavior. BAH - OK, back to work.

No comments: