Monday, May 14, 2007

Poor Little Pooper

We had a slight scare yesterday when Kieran had some blood in his stool. He wasn't acting cranky or anything and it was a very hard poop. After reading Baby 411, we decided we wouldn't freak and would call the doctor today to find out what we could do to help.

This morning the doctor's office told us to add some apple juice to his diet. Just a few ounces a few times a day. This should help him move everything through his system. It's both exciting and weird. It'll be the first non-formula/non-breastmilk thing he gets. I'm waiting to hear from Ken what his reaction to it will be.

I'm also a little concerned because I don't want to be adding much sugar to his diet. He's finally napping well and I hope that the extra sugar won't wind him up too much to go to sleep. His nighttime schedule has been a bit strange (he'll fall asleep at 7:30 and wake up at 3am then the next night he won't go down until 8:30 but then wake up at 1am) but he's still only waking up once during the night.

I guess we'll see. His 4 month appointment is on May 22, so just about a week away. I'm sure the doctor will have some additional information for us on solid foods, etc at that time.

The update....
His reaction to something other than formula or breastmilk.... a widening of the eyes. That was it. Ken's not sure if he's that interested in the juice, but we'll keep giving it to him so long as he keeps drinking it (and if it helps). Otherwise it'll be back to the drawing board...

And in other news, I am the worst mother alive.
On Mothers Day, we went to meet up with my brother, his wife, their kids, my mom, my dad, my stepmom, my grandmother and my grandfather. I was in a complete tizzy to get out the door on time as we had 4:30 pm reservations at a place in Columbia and I knew that they likely wouldn't seat us until everyone was there. In my scramble to get out the door quickly I forgot something... bottles. Meaning unless I dropped my blouse that kid was not getting anything to eat. Well - Zadie to the rescue! Darleen had a great idea - what about Aunt Joni? So, Darleen called and she had a spare bottle. Thanks Aunt Joni, Dar and Dad for saving me from having to try and breastfeed in public.

On that note, Ken & my brother had a very funny conversation about this. While my dad was gone to get the bottle, my brother came to our end of the table and asked where dad had gone off to. We explained and I said "If all else fails, I have breasts." meaning that I could breastfeed if I had to. Ken added "She does, I've seen them." My brother turned an interesting shade of pink and said he didn't want to hear anymore. Ken turned a slight rose and laughed, saying it's not what he meant. I'm still giggling about both of them getting embarrassed. I'm a girl, I have girl parts. I have a kid - my husband has therefore seen my girl parts. Ah well, boys are funny.

No comments: