Sunday, January 10, 2010

Leaps and Bounds

I've been amazed lately, at Kieran's ability to communicate in multiple ways. We're still having lots of battles but most are minor and easily overcome.

Just a few days ago, Kieran drew me a face. It was a real face with a circle, dots for eyes and a line for a mouth. He then made me a whale (larger circle) and a fish (circle with some triangles). It was incredible to see him know precisely what he wanted to draw and do it. Before he would scribble something and say "Look mommy, I drew you an alligator." Now, it's quite clear what he's drawing.

Saturday we went to our first Tumble Bees class. Unfortunately we had a substitute teacher and it ended up being mostly free play indoors, but Kieran enjoyed it anyway. He did learn to do a somersalt and has been doing them ever since. It kinda freaks me out but it also makes me proud to know that he did something he liked, wants to repeat it and is working to do it on his own.

Funny stories on his growth and independence come every day. He's big on not letting us in the bathroom when he's going potty anymore. Unfortunately for him today he went in (door closed) and came out and said he had gone. I hadn't heard the toilet flush and he was still fully dressed so I thought he was telling me stories. I told him he still needed to go and he lost it. Threw himself down on the floor and began to cry. I glanced at the toilet and realized that he did go but just hadn't flushed (and gotten dressed again, something he hadn't been doing). Poor kid, I let him know he needed to flush next time.

Ken had a great birthday trip to see his brother and go skiing. It snowed while he was in Ohio and everyone had fun. On our way to the airport to pick up Ken, Kieran told me "I'm going to the airport to see Daddy. When I see him I'll say 'Daddy' and run and hug him. You stay here, I'll be back." Of course, Kieran fell asleep before we got to the airport, but he was really happy when he woke up and Ken was home.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I read this post a couple days ago and I absolutely love it! I have been thinking a lot lately about Mabel's artwork and when the faces and bodies will come... I'm excited for that step but I think I'll probably cry.

I also love the part about Kieran telling you that he was going to run and hug Daddy but he'll be back. That reminds me SO much of Mabel! Being a mother is absolutely wonderful!