Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stalling Out

A quick one since things are crazy here at the office.

Yeah, the great first few times on the potty have devolved into "Do you want to go potty?"

"NO!"

Or "Yes" followed by a quick "All Done" while on the potty after having done NOTHING. The other night he said he was all done, 3 times, and then proceeded to pee in the bath not 2 seconds later.

I've ordered a DVD on Potty Training and I hope that helps. I'm lost. I know it will take time and consistency (which I admit, I am lacking right now). I'm afraid I have to go and use the potty seat (was hoping to avoid this and just go straight to the toilet inserts).

*sigh*

3 comments:

Katie said...

I wish I could help you out... I'm a bit concerned about potty training myself. One bit of advice I have, while it may not pertain to pottying is instead of asking "Do you want to go potty?" saying, "It's time to go potty". That way, Kieran doesn't think it's a choice. The reason I'm not sure if this will pertain is because I don't know whether or not it is a choice for you and I don't know whether or not it should be a choice... But that's one thing that we are working on here at home; our choice of words with Mabel when something is not a choice. Taking a bath, brushing teeth, or taking medicine when you're sick, for instance.

Good luck. I'm sure I'll be coming to you for advice when the time comes for Mabel to start potty training!

Jana G said...

LOL - I have a feeling that Mabel may beat Kieran to the potty training punch. I've tried the "It's time." method and he still says no. But - it all goes to consistency - in word choice, in setting him on the potty, etc.

Don't fret the word choice thing with Mabel, we've been fighting ourselves a bit with Kieran too. Ken's worse than I am he tends to ask or say Please at the end of his statement so it sounds like a question. Oh well. It's all a learning curve. :-)

Kikentai Triathlon said...

Hey, I'm sitting right here!