Thursday, October 18, 2007

Quit Calling Him Fat!

For some reason my grandparents seem to comment on the fact that they *think* Kieran is fat.

Well, nuts to you, he's in the 10th percentile for weight (that means 90 percent of kids weigh more than he does at this age). He weighs only 17 lbs, 1.2 oz. He's in the 50th percentile for height (he's 28.5 inches tall - another inch and a half and he'll be half my height). His head circumference is 17 inches, but they didn't give me a percentile on that.

Kieran also got his flu shot and was a complete trooper. He barely cried at all. I chickened out at getting his blood drawn (from his arm, not a finger or toe prick) partially because I wasn't prepared for it and partially because of my phobia. Ken's going to have to take him in to do it.

Ken also thinks that its time to let Kieran "cry it out" a bit. I'm not sure I can handle that. I know that I can't run to him every time he gets hurt (and I don't think I do, though Ken thinks I do) but I also want to be sure he understands that its OK to be upset about hurting, at least for a bit. I want to be comforting but not coddling. Its a hard line to walk.

On the fun side of things, we can now feed him regular food - anything that we can cut up and do pea-sized portions of is fine. This should be really fun. I think he's going to enjoy the feeding himself thing. He's not been happy with baby food much at home lately. He eats fine at daycare but not as well at home (I think we're distracting him).

He woke up last night only once - at 3:30 am. But considering that he's been waking up 3-4 times a night, I'll take the once a night thing. Doctor said this should not be a habit for him and if we "reward" him for getting up (food, holding, etc) then he'll get the idea to wake up often. I plan to play it by ear but if he continues to wake up and want a bottle, I will slowly decrease the amount in the bottle so eventually (hopefully) he'll not need/want it anymore.

OK, was already out for a half day today (and I know I owe everyone photos) I hope to blog more tomorrow.

No comments: