Tuesday, October 09, 2007

First Word?

If a baby speaks at daycare, and there isn't a parent around to hear it, did he really talk?

That's the question that Ken and I are asking ourselves. My second trip away and I hear from Ken that Kieran said "Bye-bye" and waved at daycare yesterday. This happened during the day when one of the other providers was in the Infant I room and was leaving. She waved and said goodbye and he waved back and said "bye-bye". Ken and I are a little sad that he said his first words out of the house but I think we've both decided that it doesn't really count until he says it in front of us.

He's still doing well, but had a bad night. Apparently he woke up every 2 or 3 hours and would cry but by the time Ken went downstairs and made the bottle, he was back asleep. Ken had a rough time. I'll be home tonight, late but I'll take the early shift so Ken can sleep a bit. I'll try to catch some Zs on the plane.

Not much else, I'm in St. Paul today for an event and I'll be home tonight. We'll post this past weekend's pictures soon. We went to Port Discovery which had a free admittance day on Saturday. Kieran had a good time in the baby room, made a few friends as he tottered around the room (I say tottered, really was just crawling and pulling up on everything). He is still not walking yet but is pulling up on things and now moving along them while holding on, so he's getting closer.

Our next doctor's appointment is next week so I'll have more info on development and size at that point. I think he's grown a ton since his last doctor visit but it's hard to say. OK, enough I should be focusing on my work. Love to all, blog again soon.

1 comment:

Katie said...

No. If a baby speaks his first word to anyone other than mommy then he didn't speak. And if his first word is anything other than "mommy" then he didn't say anything at all.