Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yeah, He's Advanced

I asked Kieran's daycare a few weeks ago about the process for moving to the next room. They divide infants into two segments, walkers and non-walkers. The kids usually transition from Infant I to Infant II around 9 months. I wasn't sure what this entailed, how it worked, etc. I was told that we'd get a letter mailed to us about a month or a few weeks in advance and then we'd sit down with the director and talk about what moving him to the next room means.

Last night when I went to go pick him up, the owner was in the room and asked if we'd be willing to consider moving him up a bit early (there's a woman who has an older child at his daycare who wants her infant to be there too). Kieran spent some time yesterday in Infant II and had a good time. I'm OK with it - though I was hoping it would mean less $$ to them, but no such luck - and kind of excited. The people who run the room said they've never had a baby as young as he is move up, but that he definitely had fun over there. One of the other babies in his room, who is older, didn't do as well over there, so he'll move up ahead of the other child.

I said I was willing to consider the move but for the next few weeks I want him to spend a little time over there just to adjust. There's more of a strict schedule in the next room (where he'd be until he's about 18 months old, I believe) though they do still accommodate the younger babies who transition in. All the kids nap at the same time - once in the morning and once in the afternoon, and they all eat lunch at the same time (around noon, which is when he eats now). There's a bit more structure to the day, though it's still mostly just playtime, trying to get the kids to walk on their own, play, explore, etc.

Last night Kieran woke up at 3:30 am (and a HUGE thank you to Ken for taking that one for the team) so I'm a little concerned that the room was overstimulating, though this morning one of his eyes was very red, and I think he may have scratched it (his nails have been pretty long, I got one of his hands this morning but didn't get the other one). So it could have been that too. Anyway - we'll see, but he'll probably be in the Infant II room in about 2 weeks' time.

OK, that was it, back to work for me.

No comments: