Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sadness and Sickness

We've had a bit of a crazy time since last weekend. This past weekend, Tucker got very sick and we had to put him down today. Apparently he was having an issue with his salt content/intake and we never knew it. We've been crating him since Labor Day and it was working - he was peeing in a litter box -but he scratched his face up pretty bad. We took him into the vet on Saturday and ended up taking him to the hospital after that. He'd been so dehydrated and his salt content was so high that they didn't want to lower his salt fast or that could hurt him. Unfortunately, everything they tried didn't work and he was non-responsive for 2 days. He was a good cat and I'm sorry to see him go but it will make some things easier.

Kieran had his biggest temperature to date. When I picked him up from daycare yesterday they mentioned how hot he felt. I didn't think much of it because he always feels kinda warm to me. But when I got him home he was BURNING hot. I took his temperature and it came back 102.8. OK, time to call the doctor (7pm) who was not in. They now have a nighttime pediatrics place they sent me to, who said "Well, his ears and throat are redder than I'd like but with no other symptoms than a fever, he should be fine." They sent me back home (even though, after giving him Tylenol his temp went UP to 103.2) with instructions to dose him with alternating courses of Tylenol and Motrin. He was fast asleep by the time we got home (9pm). So, I left him alone since the doctor indicated I need not wake him to dose him - just let him sleep.

Today he's out of daycare (half day with mom, half day with dad) and feeling fine. It's just been a weird few days. Ken and I had a nice time on our date (thanks Andy & Wendy for the free babysitting!) and we hope to do it again. It's good we've got an easy baby (that's per Wendy, you don't have to take my word for it) and hopefully we'll be able to go out as adults sometime soon.

OK that's it, Ken's visiting Ben for his Marine Corps graduation - Yeah Ben! And I'll be travelling soon too. It's going to be very weird to be away from home. Back to work for me now!

No comments: