Friday, February 15, 2013

Stories of Parenthood

Amelia learned two new words this week. "Necklace" and "Boobs".

Amelia has been very into jewelry, and loves Ms. Thelma (director of her center) who wears some wonderful necklaces. She had been playing with Ms. Thelma's necklace (and saying "necklace") when she grabbed the edge of Thelma's shirt and pulled. Thelma put her shirt down and said "No, Amelia, that's not the necklace, those are the boobs." At which point Mia looked at her, smiled and said, clear as day "Boobs!".

Both of us laughed. Thankfully she has yet to say that again. Though I'm certain she will.

Another story - this morning...
Ken had to go to court this morning so he left at 6:30. That was fine, I had packed the kids up last night so I didn't have to rush around this morning. Getting Kieran going is harder and harder but once he's underway he's fine.

Kieran is upstairs getting dressed and Devin pads into the kitchen and heads to the back door. I assume he needs to go out, so I yell up to Kieran that Mia and I are taking Devin out front and we'll be right back. Once he acknowledges me, I take Amelia's hand and walk to the door. As we get closer I start to smell something. I'm praying Devin just did a mean fart. I look down - no joy. He's pooped and Mia's already walked through it.

I grab Amelia, put her down in the kitchen and take her shoe off (happily just one shoe, not both). She's good and sits quietly waiting for me to finish. I clean up all the poop (and there is a LOT of it), clean off her shoe best I can, then realize that not only is her shoe no good for the day, but now my clothes are also ruined as she put her foot on my side.

I've decided to consider this a funny story. Hope you think so too.

1 comment:

Wynne said...

Jana - I think at that point I would have considered going back to bed and restarting the day so I could tell myself that it was just a nightmare.