Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Nature vs Nuture

So the other day I was talking with my mom about Kieran's inherent love of cats. "You've given birth to a cat person, go figure." she said. I have been a cat person all of my life. Kieran had cats until he was about 6 months old, then just Ochi for the longest time. But he really does seem to prefer cats over dogs.

Today on our car ride into work/school, Kieran kept choosing classic rock from the options on the radio. I like it, but I'll tend for more progressive/folksy music left to my own devices. However, I know Ken likes classic rock.

So, how much of Kieran's current preferences are gleaned from us by environment and how much was he born with? The world may never know...

1 comment:

MsJoanie said...

Hmmm, I'll have to ponder this and scrutinize my kid closely. I play all kinds of music in the car (still learning where the good stations are on the dial) and Simon will groove to anything with Bass. THAT'S MY BOY!

It could be Motown, Hip Hop, Reggae, Pop, Disco or Dance. Oh, and he really loves a horn section. Give that kid some Stevie Wonder and HELLO! It's SO cute.

Now, I play music and sing to it all the time, but he doesn't always jam with me. So I'm going with nature on this one.