Monday, June 09, 2008

Hearing News

Ken took Kieran in for a follow-up appointment today and while we didn't get a new hearing test (they were waiting for nearly an hour), there was still fluid on Kieran's ears.

We have another appointment on July 21 and if there is still fluid at that time, then we'll need to discuss putting ear tubes in. This is absolutely last resort for us, but since the fluid is not going away, we may have to take action to prevent any long-term damage (at least I think that's why we do tubes).

Anyway, this news is not great but at least we know what we're looking at and we've found doctors that we like to work with. If we have to do tubes, at least we know that we're doing them with the best possible people.

5 comments:

Katie said...

The good thing about tubes is that they're very common. A lot of children have to get them and they do help! I had tubes when I was little... And I've heard that you're in and out within an hour. Not bad, really.

Kikentai Triathlon said...

Yeah, an error in my surgeries to put tubes in as a child has resulted in 30 years of additional surgeries, infections and 18 years of lost hearing in my right ear. I finally got that corrected a couple of years ago so now I can hear again and can swim. However, it is a recurring problem and I'll likely have to have surgery again in 5-10 years. Tubes are the absolute last resort for us and we are reaching that point. I'm sure they are better with it these days.

Katie said...

OH. I'm sorry to hear that. I had no idea... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't need to resort to tubes for Kieran. I'm sorry.

Kikentai Triathlon said...

Nothing to apologize for. I'm just terrified of Kieran having to go through all this stuff I did. I'm sure they are much better now than they were 29 years ago.

Jana G said...

Ken's aversion to Kieran getting tubes is nearly akin to my issue with needles. He knows that the likelihood of anything untoward happening to Kieran is very low. Doesn't really stop the fear.