Friday, March 09, 2007

Down to the Wire

Getting down to the last few days before we are visited by our in-laws. My father-in-law and step-mother-in-law will be here Wednesday and Thursday. My brother-in-law and nephew come either Thursday or Friday and my mother-in-law will be here Friday-Monday.

Why all the visitors? Well, Ken asked that his family wait at least a week after the Bar Exam to come visiting -giving us a chance to acclimate a bit to our new life with a baby and his life without any school or studying (plus a little decompression time). Also, we've got the Oneg and the Naming Ceremony coming up next weekend. The Oneg (essentially just some food after a regular service at the temple) is in Friday and the Naming is on Sunday. Lots going on and we're hoping everyone can make it.

Not much else is new - we're still not having any luck getting Kieran to sleep in his crib. We've got all kinds of advice and we'll be asking the pediatrician at the next appointment - the 20th. Right now I'm pumping as much as I can so that we'll have an adequate supply of breastmilk while I'm at the office. I know I'll need to pump a few times during the day as well to keep my supply going. We'll see how well I can do this for another month. I'd like to take him all the way to when he begins eating solids (about 5-6 months) but we'll see how well it goes. Mostly the "experts" say that so long as he gets a good 3 months of breastfeeding in he's got a leg up in that department. I feel that I went through all this trouble to actually breastfeed - so now he must drink it, damnit!

On the "it's just funny" front... Kieran has decided that when I have his diaper off, and I'm focused on something else (like wiping his poopy butt) it's fun and exciting to pee. Ken has seen him do his fountain impression, he's also gotten himself in the face a few times (more funny for me than him, I think). I'm getting better but usually I let Ken take care of the poopy diapers if I can help it. For some reason, Kieran does not seem to pee for Ken the way he does for me. Peeing on mommy is funnier, I guess.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend. Hope the blog continues to be entertaining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jana - I remember when my brother was Kieran's age, my mom taught me to drop a diaper over the front while cleaning the rear. Helped to keep down the unintended "showers". Thanks for keeping this up - I enjoy living the vicarious life with Kieran.

Love, Wynne

Anonymous said...

The blog is great. It is the only way I can keep up with you guys. I miss all of you. Kiss Ken and Kieran for Me.

Love,
Micki