Monday, August 19, 2013

Vacation, at Last and Other Stories

We finally took a (very small) vacation this summer. Went to Hersheypark. I don't think I have been since I was 10 or younger. Ken had never been (and was not thrilled about the idea of going to a park that was dedicated to sweets). The kids had a BLAST. Though we got delayed in getting there because of traffic, we spent an amazing 7 hours at the park. Amelia loved the carousel (which she rode at least 4 times) but hated the water park. Kieran and I waited in line for one of the big waterslides for about 45 minutes and loved every minute of it while we poured/shot water on those below us (or got shot/dumped on from those above us). Kieran rode the Comet coaster and a bunch of smaller rides with his sister (and some without her or us, which I think he loved). He is still wearing his "Reese's" bracelet, that identified how tall he is and which rides he could ride. I think if it ever falls off (or requires to be cut off) he is going to be devastated.

Ken and I had fun and learned a few things from this trip. I think we'd go again next year (time and money allowing) and do it differently.

In the meantime, we've done something crazy and gotten a foster dog. Chewy (formerly Armand) needed a short-term foster to be rescued from the local shelter. He's nothing but skin and bones and has been very sweet. He has Lyme's disease (which is treatable and not communicable to us or Devin). Devin is enjoying having another dog to play with. The cats have not forgiven Ken. I'm not sure they ever will. He's a good dog, but I am definitely looking forward to him moving on to either a long-term foster or his forever home (we've been "shopping" him around the neighborhood) as two dogs is just too much for me. Thankfully, Ken agreed to take on all the dog walks while Chewy is around.

And now various stories....
 Yesterday the dogs had been playing (loudly) and Ken told them "Enough!". They quieted down and laid down. Ken went to use the bathroom and while he was gone the dogs started playing again. I let them play as they were fine but it escalated a bit (aka got noisy) and just as I stood up to tell them to "Knock it off," Ken came back in the room. They both settled very quickly and looked at Ken as if to say "I don't know what she's talking about. We've just been sitting here quietly this whole time." Ken and I could not stop laughing at how the dogs really thought they had pulled one over on him.

Then this morning, I was changing Amelia for daycare. I had her diaper off and was trying to get her new one on when she got up and ran into her closet giggling. I don't care if she goes bare butt for awhile but I saw her straining as if to poop. Quickly I grabbed her and ran to Kieran's room (where the bathroom is) and put her on the toilet. Immediately she says "All done potty." I told her no and to sit there for a few minutes longer. Then I smell poop. I look in the toilet - no poop. Then, I look down. *sigh* She missed the toilet by about 2 steps and I stepped into it. Had to clean her, the floor and carpet as well as my shoes. Got all that done, got her and Kieran downstairs where I started packing Kieran up to go. Then, right as Ken left to walk the dogs one last time, she looks at me and says "Poo," which typically means she's just gone. Sure enough, she pooped again in her fresh pull-up. I will be very happy when potty training is done.

Yesterday evening I took Kieran to the park to play with some of his friends (there was a concert in the park and most kids/parents from his school hang there). He brought a pin for his friend, Gracie. He gave it to her and then quickly ran away. I think our boy may have a small crush. Anyway, after playing for about an hour, it was time for Gracie to head home. First she told her dad she'd sleep in the park, then she insisted that Kieran was going to come and sleep over. Kieran was good with the idea but her dad (and I) were not. He was pretty angry by the time we got home but eventually apologized to me. His sass level has increased quite a bit and I let him know that he's got to work on the back-talk he gives me (and other adults). It is OK for him to tell me he's too angry to talk, but it's not OK for him to backtalk me. He promises to work on it. I guess it's better than his hitting/kicking/biting.

That's all, blog again sometime....

No comments: