Friday, August 23, 2013

Quick Kieran Stories

A variety of stories, all of which happened yesterday or today.

Yesterday was Sneak a Peek at Your Seat night at Kieran's school. It's a great event, the kids get to see their friends, meet their teacher, see their new classroom, locker, etc. Kieran's new teacher seems great and I'm excited for the new year. He, however, made us go in and out of her classroom no less than 4 times while he waited for his best friend, Tobin to arrive. Luckily, his teacher doesn't have them sitting next to each other.

On our walk back from that, Kieran and I were talking about eating too much and gaining weight. He suggested that I'd have another baby in my belly from that. I told him no, that his dad and I are done having kids. He looked at me, disappointed. When I asked him about it, he said he'd like to us to have five kids (I did not ask if that was five more or just five total). Why five? He shrugged and said "Then, I'd always have someone to play with."

As if seeing his new classroom was not enough excitement, Ken got to take Kieran to the Ravens preseason last night against North Carolina. They had a good time, but the funniest part was Kieran looking over the program for the game. He came to a page that had the Ravens cheerleaders on one side and a woman in a bikini on the other. He stopped, did a double-take and then smiled and pointed for his dad to see. When asked why he liked it, he could not articulate an answer. Yeah, our boy is growing up.

Finally, this morning on the way to his last day of karate camp for the summer, Kieran and I were playing our alphabet game. I started this when he was learning his letters as a way for his to play in the car. You spot a a letter and then move on to the next. This morning, Kieran wanted to make it more challenging so instead of just spotting the letter you had to spot a thing (or an emotion) that began with the letter (ex. A = arrows, b = bushes, bus, c= cars, etc). We got to X and Kieran suggested that we allow ourselves to spot something that contains the letter instead of something that starts with it. I agreed and told him I saw he was "excited" about camp today. I said I didn't think we'd see any x-ray machines or xylophones on our way to camp. Then he said it would be strange to see a xylophone on the side of the road. Or one that was a car. I asked if it would make noise/music any time you went over a bump. This made him laugh. "Oh mom," he said, "you crack me up."

It's what I do, kiddo.

No comments: