Friday, January 04, 2013

Honey, We're Getting, Well....We're Adults

Today is Ken's fortieth birthday. That's right, the big four-oh. We're not having a fancy party or inviting tons of people to our tiny rowhome. We'll probably go out to eat tonight, have some cake and blow out candles. A quiet celebration, but a good one.

When I told/reminded Kieran yesterday that it was Ken's birthday today, he sang "Happy Birthday" to Ken noting within the song (keeping tune and rhythm) that the actual birthday was tomorrow. Last night during bedtime, he begged me to set his alarm so he could hide, and then surprise Ken this morning with "Happy Birthday, Daddy!" (He managed to do this without me setting his alarm, Amelia keeps waking up crying so she's a fine alarm clock).

I've got some surprises in store for Ken yet but looking back on the nearly 20 years we've been together I can honestly say what an amazing, thoughtful and kind husband I have. I couldn't be prouder or happier that we are together. He still makes me laugh, knows when to leave me alone or when to just sit with me.

And as to my title. Well, we're getting older. I'll be forty later this year too. (Hey babe, for a few months, you've got a hot young wife!) I prefer to think of this not as aging or going grey or getting older or wiser or any of that crap, but of enjoying our life the way it is, living vicariously through our kids without pushing them in any one direction and just generally having fun.

1 comment:

MsJoanie said...

You know, that's a really healthy way of looking at turning 40... but dangit, did you really have to mention that you've been with Ken for nearly 20 years? 20 YEARS! How can this be?!?

I remember when you met Ken, and that was like, just a few years ago. Seriously, wasn't that just a few years ago! Man, where does the time go?