Friday, September 12, 2008

Bad Word?

For the past 2-3 weeks I could swear that Kieran had learned a bad word. And I was sure he had NOT gotten from me (shut up - I am aware of my potty mouth and work hard to curb it in front of him).

Here's how it would go, he'd grab his crotch and say what sounded like "dick". I use "penis" when I talk about it so I knew that he didn't get this reference from me. I was alarmed that perhaps daycare taught him this. He wouldn't do it often, so I wasn't very upset. Recently, however, it has been more frequent.

This morning he got up and grabbed his crotch and said "dick". I had a light bulb moment and realized that what he's been trying to say all along is not "dick" but "diaper". We've been trying to teach him this word for awhile but have not gotten past the "d" sound. We'd enunciate it "d-d-d-diaper" and it seems he is stuck on the "d-d-d" part. When he did that I asked him if he wanted his diaper changed - he said yes. Bad word and confrontation avoided. Whew!

4 comments:

Katie said...

This story is SO FUNNY! It cracks me up! Mabel has been doing the same thing lately and I've been wondering where she learned the word "shit". I still haven't figured out what she is really saying... This Kieran story is priceless!

Jana G said...

Thanks. Maybe Mabel is saying "stick"? that happens to be one of Kieran's favorite words, which we also thought maybe he was saying in reference to his penis (calling it his stick) until I figured it out. Yes - parenthood has its very very amusing moments.

Katie said...

LOVE the new pic of Kieran on the slide! =)

Ben said...

Katie and I can share in that...see the "sh*t" story above. Today, Katie asked Mabel what she wanted for lunch. Mabel said "banana". Katie said we don't have any bananas. Mabel said "sh*t". Kind of fit the context, so has me wondering more!